About the High Altitude Expedition Course
A week long course with 5 days practical, including 3 nights out in the mountains of the Sierra Nevada. It builds on experiences of guiding over 14 - 8000m expeditions, including 4 times on Everest. Whether you are a complete beginner of looking to climb your first 8000m and want tips on training and high altitude techniques this course will provide you with ideal preparation for your own future expeditions and adventures.
In the evenings Sean will also giving from Aconcagua, Elbrus, Kilimanjaro, Everest, Damavand, Ama Dablam, Broad Peak, Manaslu, Gasherbrum, Patagonia, New Zealand, the Yukon, Cho Oyu, Baruntse, Ojos del Salado.
Typical Course Content
- Planning for an Expedition
- Equipment and gear selection
- Which operator? Which mountain? Am I fit enough?
- Food and drink - choices and alternatives
- Snow wall construction. A much neglected and complex subject
- Snowholing and survival techniques
- Putting up a tent in a blizzard - vital to practice!
- Communications tricks and techniques with base. Rescue?
- Transportation with Sleds and Pulks
- The right mental approach!
- Snow and Ice Techniques
- Ice axe use and braking
- Correct use of crampons
- Roping up for glacier travel
- Crevasse rescue
- Snow belays
- Cooking and boiling water at altitude
- Ascending and descending fixed ropes
- Setting up fixed ropes
- Self sufficiency and moving together on a rope
- Designing a training plan
- High altitude medicine
- The principles of acclimatisation schedules and rotations
- Communication back home on different mountains
Still, my most memorable adventure to date, and largely thanks to your good leadership and an incredible team. Anyone “half thinking” of doing this should pull their finger out and do it, it’s the closest you’ll get to a polar experience.
Your guide, Sean James
Sean James - Mountaineer
I spend most of the year working as a mountain guide in the Himalaya, Andes, Asia, Africa… I’ve led and summited multiple peaks above 8000m including 2 times leading successful groups to the summit of Everest. I’ve written numerous articles for outdoor magazines and was editor of a publication in the Middle East. I’ve also published a book, From Dubai to Everest detailing our 2015 Everest expedition and the earthquake in Nepal. Getting outside and exploring new places whether it is climbing, running with friends, races or biking is still what I love the most.
Dates & Prices
Mountaineering Courses and PD routesGroup size (per booking): (prices are per person per day)
- 1 person - cost €150
- 2 persons - cost €95
- 3 persons - cost €85
- 4 persons - cost €75
- 1 person - cost €220
- 2 persons - cost €140
Definition of "Group" - if you are booking a trip for 2 persons the 2 person rate applies, 3 persons - 3 person rate etc (not dependent on eventual total group size!).Price includes:
- Local transport to and from Lanjaron/trailhead
- Backup vehicles
- Gear hire - helmet, harness, crampons, ice axe
- We have a limited number of boots and sizes available for guest use
N.B Guiding ratio for high mountain activities - no more than 4 to a guide.
Enquire via email or contact form
You may also be interested in?
Spains Sierra Nevada is a perfect location for preparation courses for expeditions to polar regions or the greater ranges with high altitude and remote mountains to use as a base
Discover the year round mountaineering and scrambling potential of the Spanish Sierra Nevada alpine ridges. Big routes, big faces and incredible situations!
Learn to travel safe in the winter mountains on one of our Winter Skills Mountaineering Courses based in Spains snowsure Sierra Nevada mountains
An Alpine Mountaineering Course based in Spains Sierra Nevada. For those looking for winter mountain ascents, alpine peaks, ice climbing, glacier travel and expeditions