Chris Stewart Walking Holiday Overview
These week long hiking tours in the Alpujarras are based at Casa Ana in Ferreirola. Run by Chris Stewart, writer of the famous travel book “Driving Over Lemons”
The Alpujarra is one of Spain’s most spectacular and unspoilt walking areas, with hikes in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and rambles through the meadows, orchards and white villages.
The holiday is based at Casa Ana, a gem of a guest house on the edge of Ferreirola, with magnificent views of the Trevelez river gorge. The house recently featured in the Times top 50 places for a holiday in Spain.
And who better to guide you than Chris Stewart, author of “Driving over Lemons” and himself a keen walker. Chris invites you to explore the area and share his deep knowledge (and great stories) about the history, culture and nature of the Alpujarra. Chris is available on 4 or 5 weeks per annum.
- A walk from Casa Ana to Chris’ farm El Valero and lunch prepared by Chris and his wife Ana (as featured in Rick Stein’s Spain on BBC2)
- 4 or 5 day-long walks exploring the Trevelez and Poqueira valleys
- A day of walking in the high mountains
- A day in Granada exploring the Moorish city with Chris and architect Rafael Anderson. Plus lunch at a Granada restaurant
- Ham and wine tasting at Antonio’s bodega in Pampaneira
- Gourmet dinners at Casa Ana
- Dining out at the area’s best restaurant
The walking groups are small so early booking is strongly recommended.
Walking level of challenge
Expect altitude gains of about 350m and 6-7 hours of walking per day.
Bring sensible clothing and good hiking boots.
Hiking poles are useful.
Sun hats, sun glasses, sun block and a water bottle are essential.
Ferreirola is about the prettiest village in the western Alpujarra, and that’s where the enchanting Casa Ana is to be found. It’s just up the hill from our farm. I can promise you that the food and wine will be of the best. The ambiente and conversation? Well that’s up to me and you! What we plan is some walks around the Alpujarra – nothing too tough, although it’s steep country, so you ought to be in tolerable good shape. A day in Granada with a gourmet lunch at one of the city’s best known restaurants and some mooching round the bars and bodegas of the mountain villages
The week includes!
- A walk from Casa Ana to Chris’ farm El Valero and lunch prepared by Chris and his wife Anna (featured in Rick Stein’s Spain on BBC2)
- A day in Granada exploring the Moorish city with Chris and architect Rafael Anderson. Plus a degustación lunch at Francisco Lillo’s famous bodega La Oliva
Dates - September to June
Accommodation - at Casa Ana, Ferreirola (included above)
Prices - from €1295 per person (€1475 single)
Price includes bed and breakfast accommodation, 5 picnics or lunches, dinners, wines, excursions, local transport and guides.
It does not include: flights, airport transfers, tickets to monuments (eg. in Granada), one lunch, some refreshments eg. coffee stops on walks.
Dates for 2020 Holidays
- 25 April - 2 May 2020
- 19 - 26 September 2020
- 23 - 30 May 2020
- 10 - 17 October 2020
Winter Walking dates (ask for details)
- 15 – 22 February 2020
Can’t make one of Chris’s weeks? Dont worry, we run similar Walking Weeks on Demand from September to June inclusive each year, guided by Spanish Highs.