About the Snowshoeing in the Sierra Nevada
During the winter months snow is in abundance; and with great trails offering wonderful scenery, snowshoers will find this a wonderful destination. Moreover, snowshoers of every level of skill and experience will find plenty of trails to meet their desires and needs.
If you’ve never tried it….you should! Its good fun and very easy to learn. We take you to some gentle locations for your first steps. After a brief learning curve we can progress to longer and harder tours.
Snowshoeing…. Why do it?
- A fun and active way to visit the outdoors
- Simple to learn
- Great cardiovascular exercise
- Another fun winter activity to add to your list
- Good for your spirit
- An entertaining social activity
- Everyone is doing it!
From our Testimonials
Just to say very many thanks. We really had a marvellous time with you & everyone was SO helpful to me. I really appreciate it & sincerely hope we can go again next year
Had a great time exploring the Sierra Nevada mountains on snowshoes with my guide. He was very attuned to our needs, fitness, and skill level, and our ability to deal with the wind and blowing snow. He took lots of high quality photos for us, offered me better gloves when I needed them. A great experience overall.
Can you really go snowshoeing in southern Spain?
Yes, of course. Snow from December until May. Don't tell everybody though as we don't want crowded hills! The area provides some superb, reliable snowshoe tours.
Our Snowshoeing Tours
There are many great places to try out your snowshoes. Email Spanish Highs Mountain Guides for suggestions in the Sierra Nevada. Once you feel comfortable, you might like to try out a new hiking trail.
Any time you want during December to May (if there are at least 4 inches snow on the ground)! Snowshoeing is a great activity by itself or combined with other outdoor pursuits like winter camping, backcountry snowboarding and skiing, sledding, or running. When you have a pair of snowshoes, there are no more excuses for not getting out and enjoying winter.
The good news is that anyone who can walk can go snowshoeing. From young kids to senior citizens. Depending on your age and weight range there will be a shoe that will fit your specific needs.
We have snowshoes available from well know makes such as Tubbs, Salomen and Camp. Hire costs are included in the tour guided prices.
Day Tours frequently used
- Puente Palo - easy access from Lanjaron. Forests and some open hillsides. Some peaks can be ascended on snowshoes from here.
- Hoya del Portillo - above the high white village of Capileira. Various excursions possible here.
- Hoya de la Mora and Barranco de San Juan - high snowbowls in a quiet valley
- Sierra de Huetor - we have worked out some marvellous round trip tours through the pine forests of this magnificent Natural Park. We also offer Canicross here.
- Puerta de la Ragua - A 2000m high road pass through the eastern Sierra Nevada. Forests, open hillsides and simple peaks available.
- Casa Forestal La Pluca and Las Alegas - a high dirt track allows access to forests and hillsides up to 2700m, with superb views to Mulhacen, Veleta and the other main Sierra Nevada peaks.
- Cumbres Verdes - when the snow is low and access to our 4WD vehicles is possible the Cumbres Verdes gives entertaining and variable snowshoeing in dry ravines and green valleys.
- Valley of the Rio Lanjaron - not many venture here to snowshoe in winter but we have obtained quick access from the SE. The valley is normally snowsure until end May giving late season snowshoeing.
Snowshoeing Articles from our Blog
There is no finer place to enjoy a day’s snowshoeing after recent snowfall than above Puente Palo in the pine forests of the Alpujarras. Last week we were privileged to enjoy the company of a family from the USA, as we guided them on a days snowshoeing…
For winter we have some new locations, far away from anybody else including some new forests accessible only by 4WD vehicles. These should give superb snowshoeing from mid-December until end of May. We tried them out last year and it’s now time to launch!
Recollections of a hard snowshoeing trek to and from the Poqueira hut in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains in difficult snow conditions. At times we had blizzard conditions which made it an epic and, at times, very testing journey.
Dates & Prices
You may also be interested in?
Guided Snowshoeing day or multi-day tours in the wonderful Sierra Nevada mountains by professional mountain guides? Snowshoes supplied. Try it, you will love it!
Experience the wonderful winter Skierra Nevada mountains with backcountry ski tours, ski touring and ski mountaineering day and multi day holidays
Downhill Skiing Holidays in Spains Sierra Nevada mountains? From airport transfers, hotels and passes, to professional tution and off pieste ski touring options, as well as Snowshoeing to add something a little different to your winter ski holiday!