Are you up for the “Sea to Summit” Trekking Challenge?
A tough 3 day trek from the sea at Castell de Ferro to the summit of Mulhacén, the highest mountain in mainland Spain
Is it for me?
Be in no doubt. This is a serious trek. A tough personal or charity challenge. A certain mental resilience will be required.
The trek takes 3 days. With 82km in total (64km to the actual summit of Mulhacen) and nearly 5000m ascent from coast to mountain summit, this will challenge even the seasoned hillwalker.
The route is mainly on good hill and mountain tracks. Some are rough at times with some rough sections especially above 3000m.
There is a short amount of road walking necessary to cross the Sierra de Contraviesa but our route has been designed to avoid as much of this as possible.
The descent from the summit is to the village of Capileira in the Alpujarras.
The Sea to Summit Trek, Route Itinerary
Crossing the Sierra de Contraviesa
- 9 hours walking
- Start by the sea at the coastal town of Castell de Ferro
- Northwards along a broad ridge towards the village of Rabite
- Cross over the crest of the Sierra de Contraviesa, down through Alcazar and onwards to Torvizcon
- No accommodation in Torvizcon, so bus back to Lanjaron (45 mins)
The toughest day!
- 12 hours walking
- Ascend up to the village of Almegijar and over the Portichuelo de Castares
- Join the GR7 path and follow to the town of Trevelez
- Steep climb up to the Alto de Chorrillo (the hard bit!)
- Drop gently down to the Refugio Poqueira at 2500m
- Night in the Refugio Poqueira (beds, blankets, food, drinks, shop etc)
- 8 hours walking
- Ascend alongside the Rio Mulhacen to the Collado del Ciervo (2hrs)
- Ascend the west flank of Mulhacen to the summit at 3482m (1.5hrs)
- Descend the south ridge of Mulhacen to the Hoya del Portillo 2150m (3hrs)
- Transport picks you up and returns you to Lanjaron (1hr 15mins)
Route Map and Further Info
Interactive map (opens in new window)
Start: Castell de Ferro, Costa Granada
Objective: Mulhacen summit 3482m
End: Capileira, Alpujarras
Notes: Remember that the summit is not the end! There is still a 3 hour walk with nearly 1300m of descent back to the trailhead at Hoya del Portillo
Important! Please note that on the evening of Day 1 there is no accommodation at Torvizcon nor anywhere close. We normally bus clients back to suitable accommodation and then back again next morning.
We operate this trek in the May, June, September, October and November each year (the summer is far too hot at lower levels).
Guiding cost - €85 per person per day (Min group size 4). Includes transport to/from Lanjaron to the start at La Rabita and end at Hoya de la Mora
Accommodation cost - allow €30 per person per night + food and drink
- You will travel with light day packs only
- Make sure you wear well broken in boots or approach shoes
- Do some training beforehand!
The 4 Day Winter Option
The winter option is possible, but these are high mountains and will contain snow, ice and possibly poor conditions. That’s why we allow 4 days to do the Challenge.
Changes to summer itinerary:
- A longer time - 4 days instead of 3
- Day 2 route change - we now go from Torvizcon to Capileira so missing the steep and likely snowbound Alto de Chorrillo
- Day 3 - we spend the night at the Refugio Poqueira (2500m) on the flanks of Mulhacen
Please note that during the winter months many hotels close so we shall have less options for you at this time of year.
Day 1 - Castell de Ferro to Torvizcon (as summer)
Day 2 - Torvizcon to Capileira via the Taha del Pitres
Day 3 - Capileira to Refugio Poqueira via the Barranco del Poqueira. Night at refuge.
Day 4 - to Mulhacen summit and return to Capileira
You may also be interested in?
Guided day or multi day ascents year round of Mulhacen in Spains Sierra Nevada. Climb it, trek it, scramble it, ski it or even sleep on it!
Week long guided trek along the northern section of the Sulayr long distance path that encircles the Sierra Nevada mountain range in southern Spain
Sierra Nevada trekking holidays and tours inc Mulhacen, Veleta, ridge traverse, Siete Lagunas and high peaks. Day or multi day treks from Lanjaron, Capileira or Granada
Tours around Cerro Torre, Fitzroy and Paso Viento. Day and multi-day trekking and hiking from El Chalten, Patagonia
A stunning high altitude guided trek, wild camping, traversing the main 3000m peaks of the Sierra Nevada in quiet and remote mountains. This is Los Tres Miles!