Guided Snowshoeing tours in the Sierra Nevada
Snowshoeing day or multi-day tours here in the wonderful mountains of the Sierra Nevada!
Dates - December to May inclusive
Prices - from €65 per person per day
Accommodation - hotels from €30 per person per night (sharing)
During the winter months snow is in abundance; and with great trails offering wonderful scenery, snowshoers will find this a wonderful destination. Moreover, snowshoers of every level of skill and experience will find plenty of trails to meet their desires and needs.
If youve never tried it....you should! Its good fun and very easy to learn. We take you to some gentle locations for your first steps. After a brief learning curve we can progress to longer and harder tours.
Why do it?
- A fun and active way to visit the outdoors
- Simple to learn
- Great cardiovascular exercise
- Another fun winter activity to add to your list
- Good for your spirit
- An entertaining social activity
- Everyone is doing it!
The good news is that anyone who can walk can go snowshoeing. From young kids to senior citizens. Depending on your age and weight range there will be a shoe that will fit your specific needs.
There are many great places to try out your snowshoes. Email Spanish Highs Mountain Guides for suggestions in the Sierra Nevada. Once you feel comfortable, you might like to try out a new hiking trail.
Any time you want during December to May (if there are at least 4 inches snow on the ground)! Snowshoeing is a great activity by itself or combined with other outdoor pursuits like winter camping, backcountry snowboarding and skiing, sledding, or running. When you have a pair of snowshoes, there are no more excuses for not getting out and enjoying winter.
Some great day tours we frequently use most winters
- Puente Palo - easy access from Lanjaron. Forests and some open hillsides. Some peaks can be ascended on snowshoes from here.
- Hoya del Portillo - above the high white village of Capileira. Various excursions possible here.
- Hoya de la Mora and Barranco de San Juan - high snowbowls in a quiet valley
- Sierra de Huetor - we have worked out some marvellous round trip tours through the pine forests of this magnificent Natural Park. We also offer Canicross here.
- Puerta de la Ragua - A 2000m high road pass through the eastern Sierra Nevada. Forests, open hillsides and simple peaks available.
- Casa Forestal La Pluca and Las Alegas - a high dirt track allows access to forests and hillsides up to 2700m, with superb views to Mulhacen, Veleta and the other main Sierra Nevada peaks.
- Cumbres Verdes - when the snow is low and access to our 4WD vehicles is possible the Cumbres Verdes gives entertaining and variable snowshoeing in dry ravines and green valleys.
- Valley of the Rio Lanjaron - not many venture here to snowshoe in winter but we have obtained quick access from the SE. The valley is normally snowsure until end May giving late season snowshoeing.
We have snowshoes available from well know makes such as Tubbs, Salomen and Camp. Hire costs are included in the tour guided prices.