Guided Scrambling tours and holidays in the Sierra Nevada, Spain
"Scrambles in the Sierra Nevada and Andalucia" offer some great mountain experiences in wild surroundings
Dates - Year round
Prices - from €75 per person per day
Accommodation - hotels from €30 per person per night (sharing)
Andalucia province has a wealth of untapped scrambling potential. We shall show you some of the best there is. Many of the routes have been developed by ourselves over the years.
Route philosophy - we are looking for free movement on steep and rocky terrain, involving exposure and constant risk assessment of when/if to utilise a rope for security.We run scrambling tours all year round:
- Low Mountain <2500m - Year round except July and August
- High Mountain >2500m - June, July, August, September, October
Instruction will be given where necessary in the basic use of rope and gear for protection and safety. Guests should have a good head for heights and have some experience of hillwalking.
- Grade 1 No specialist mountaineering skills. Technically easy. Done without a rope.
- Grade 2 More serious. Maybe need simple technical skills and rope.
- Grade 3 Like grade 2, with simple pitches of easy rock climbing. More technical ropework and protection required.
- 3(S) serious 3s. Some sections of mod/diff rock climbing
High Mountain Scrambles
- Tajos de la Virgen ridge. Grade 1 with a couple of exposed sections. Long "alpine" type ridge with extensive views. We have harder options available on this route (June to Oct incl).
- Tozal del Cartujo - NW ridge. Great situations and not far from the Sierra Nevada ski station - Grade 3S depending on options taken (possible abseil) Great way to the summit of a magnificent peak (June to Oct incl). Read More
- Ridge traverse from Los Machos to Veleta via Salon and Fidel Fierro - tough, exposed "Cuillin" like ridge followed by Diff rock climb to the summit of Veleta.
- Alcazaba - "the Fortress". Requires a 2 day day trip but the NW Espolon makes a fantastic alpine ascent (Grade 3S). Also easier routes exist on the Gran Vasar and the northern crags of this majestic peak, including a very sneaky shortcut through cliffs on the northern side that saves about 2 hrs on "Los Tres Miles Ruta Integral" (June to Oct incl) Read more
- Raspones de Rio Seco ridge traverse. Probably the best ridge traverse in Spain. We were the first foreigners to exploit this magnificent ridge. A superb route! Read More
- Puntal de la Caldera. We have two routes on Puntal de la Caldera. The full east to west traverse is Grade 2 . Our latest addition is the NW ridge. Incredible high altitude mountain route leading to this fine and neglected summit (June to Oct incl). Grade 3S Read more
Low Mountain Scrambles
- Penon de la Mata. Grade 2/3 (S) depending on route taken. Easy approach gives maximum time scrambling on perfect limestone. We have found and developed some long routes (200-300m) on this quiet peak with excellent views south to the Sierra Nevada. Excellent rock. Read our report and photos of new routes we discovered here
- Penon de la Mata, Sierra de Huetor. Since 2002 we have been instrumental in developing a series of rocky scrambles on perfect limestone in this overlooked area (Sept to June incl). Grades range from 1 to 3.
- Sierra Arana ridges. Long ridge route on Penon Grande (3S) or more relaxed opportunities on Penon Asno (1/2).
- Lecrin Valley. Low peaks but there are a couple that offer fantastic scrambling opportunities on perfect rock. Great instructional areas exist here for all (Sept to June incl). Grades 1 to 3S
- Trevenque. An old favourite has been affected by quite a lot of rock slides in the past few years. Nevertheless we have developed alternatives that give quality low altitude adventures (Sept to June incl). Grade 2
Sierra Nevada Mega Scrambling Tour
- A weeks high altitude scrambling
- 5 days scrambling, 4 nights bivouac by lakes and streams
- We try to carry as little as possible during the day by utilising base camps
- Covers 5 of the Sierra Nevada High Mountain Routes (listed above) in one push, camping by lakes and streams
- Two trips monthly during June, July, August and September (Monday to Friday)