Our "Scrambles in Andalucia" offer some great experiences in wild surroundings
Instruction will be given where necessary in the basic use of rope and gear for protection and safety. Guests should have a good head for heights and have some experience of hillwalking in the UK or Europe. Grades 1, 2, 3 and 3S can be undertaken (see explanation below).
Route philosophy - we are looking for free movement on steep and rocky terrain, involving exposure and constant risk assessment of when/if to utilise a rope for security.
N.B we can't run low level scrambling trips during July and August when it is far too hot. At that time we can only operate above 2500m on our Sierra Nevada high mountain routes (see below).
Andalucia province has a wealth of untapped scrambling potential. We shall show you some of the best there is. Many of the routes have been developed by ourselves over the years.
Day scrambles in outlying areas
- Penon de la Mata. Grade 2/3 (S) depending on route taken. Easy approach gives maximum time scrambling on perfect limestone. We have found and developed some long routes (200-300m) on this quiet peak with excellent views south to the Sierra Nevada. Excellent rock. Read our report and photos of new routes we discovered here
- Sierra de Huetor. Since 2002 we have been instrumental in developing a series of rocky scrambles on perfect limestone in this overlooked area (Sept to June incl). Grades range from 1 to 3.
- Lecrin Valley. Low peaks but there are a couple that offer fantastic scrambling opportunities on perfect rock. Great instructional areas exist here for all (Sept to June incl). Grades 1 to 3S
- Trevenque. An old favourite has been affected by quite a lot of rock slides in the past few years. Nevertheless we have developed alternatives that give quality low altitude adventures (Sept to June incl). Grade 2
Report and photos from NE flank
Report and photos from west ridge
N.B The video below includes helmetcam shots that exaggerate the steepness of the terrain!
Sierra Nevada high mountain routes
- Tajos de la Virgen ridge. Grade 1 with a couple of exposed sections. Long "alpine" type ridge with extensive views. We have harder options available on this route (June to Oct incl).
- Tozal del Cartujo - NW ridge. Great situations and not far from the Sierra Nevada ski station - Grade 3S depending on options taken (possible abseil) Great way to the summit of a magnificent peak (June to Oct incl).
- Alcazaba - "the Fortress". Requires a 2 day day trip but the NW Espolon makes a fantastic alpine ascent (Grade 3S). Also easier routes exist on the Gran Vasar and the northern crags of this majestic peak, including a very sneaky shortcut through cliffs on the northern side that saves about 2 hrs on "Los Tres Miles Ruta Integral" (June to Oct incl).
- Raspones de Rio Seco ridge traverse. Probably the best ridge traverse in Spain. We were the first foreigners to exploit this magnificent ridge. A superb route!
- Puntal de la Caldera. We have two routes on Puntal de la Caldera. The full east to west traverse is Grade 2 . Our latest addition is the NW ridge. Incredible high altitude mountain route leading to this fine and neglected summit (June to Oct incl). Grade 3S
The Alpujarras and Sierra Nevada area. What is it like?
- Grade 1 No specialist mountaineering skills. Technically easy and can usually be done without a rope.
- Grade 2 More serious. Maybe need simple technical skills and rope.
- Grade 3 Like grade 2, with simple pitches of rock climbing. More technical ropework and protection required.
- 3(S) serious 3s. Some sections of mod/diff rock climbing
Inspiring the Adventure » Scrambling
Inspirations for your own Sierra Nevada, Spanish or Patagonian Mountain Adventure!
A few days rock scrambling in Andalucia
Richard Jones and John O'Connor from Ireland recently visited southern Spain and decided to try out some of the superb scrambles that Andalucia has to offer. This is their report.
All photos by Richard Jones and/or John O'Connor
"After our three day ski touring adventure our plan was to have...
New scrambling routes in the Sierra de Huetor north of Sierra Nevada
Yesterday we continued our development of this quiet area with 3 more scrambling routes in this fascinating mountain area just north of Granada and the Sierra Nevada.
Approach is via Cogollas Vega just off the A92 north of Granada. We have climbed and scrambled on the Peñon de la Mata for som...
Birthday party on the Raspones ridges
Clive Fenn recently gave his son an incredible 18th birthday present by taking him along the Raspones ridge in Spain's Sierra Nevada mountains.
We described the Raspones as "the best ridge scramble in Spain". We have much fun here in the past, including some incredible winter mountaineering...
The west ridge of the Peñón de la Mata, Andalucía
Describes an wonderful mountain day scrambling and climbing on the west ridge of the Peñón de la Mata in the Sierra de Huetor, N of Granada and the more popular Sierra Nevada.
We had seen this ridge on our last visit to the Peñón de la Mata when we did a scramble on the north eastern flanks...
Rock Scrambling on the Peñon de la Mata, Sierra de Huetor, Andalucía
Sometimes, quite by chance one comes across a gem. I had been on the summit of the Peñon de la Mata (1669m) before, but had failed to recognise the scrambling possibilities. This time there was to be no mistake.
The 5 of us parked as close to the peak as we could get, which left us an easy 45...
You may also be interested in?