Guided Scrambling tours and holidays in the Sierra Nevada, Spain
"Scrambles in the Sierra Nevada and Andalucia" offer some great mountain experiences in wild surroundings
Dates - Year round
Prices - from €75 per person per day
Accommodation - hotels from €30 per person per night (sharing)
Andalucia province has a wealth of untapped scrambling potential. We shall show you some of the best there is. Many of the routes have been developed by ourselves over the years.
Route philosophy - we are looking for free movement on steep and rocky terrain, involving exposure and constant risk assessment of when/if to utilise a rope for security.We run scrambling tours all year round:
- Low Mountain <2500m - Year round except July and August
- High Mountain >2500m - June, July, August, September, October
Instruction will be given where necessary in the basic use of rope and gear for protection and safety. Guests should have a good head for heights and have some experience of hillwalking.
- Grade 1 No specialist mountaineering skills. Technically easy. Done without a rope.
- Grade 2 More serious. Maybe need simple technical skills and rope.
- Grade 3 Like grade 2, with simple pitches of easy rock climbing. More technical ropework and protection required.
- 3(S) serious 3s. Some sections of mod/diff rock climbing
High Mountain Scrambles
- Tajos de la Virgen ridge. Grade 1 with a couple of exposed sections. Long "alpine" type ridge with extensive views. We have harder options available on this route (June to Oct incl).
- Tozal del Cartujo - NW ridge. Great situations and not far from the Sierra Nevada ski station - Grade 3S depending on options taken (possible abseil) Great way to the summit of a magnificent peak (June to Oct incl). Read More
- Ridge traverse from Los Machos to Veleta via Salon and Fidel Fierro - tough, exposed "Cuillin" like ridge followed by Diff rock climb to the summit of Veleta.
- Alcazaba - "the Fortress". Requires a 2 day day trip but the NW Espolon makes a fantastic alpine ascent (Grade 3S). Also easier routes exist on the Gran Vasar and the northern crags of this majestic peak, including a very sneaky shortcut through cliffs on the northern side that saves about 2 hrs on "Los Tres Miles Ruta Integral" (June to Oct incl) Read more
- Raspones de Rio Seco ridge traverse. Probably the best ridge traverse in Spain. We were the first foreigners to exploit this magnificent ridge. A superb route! Read More
- Puntal de la Caldera. We have two routes on Puntal de la Caldera. The full east to west traverse is Grade 2 . Our latest addition is the NW ridge. Incredible high altitude mountain route leading to this fine and neglected summit (June to Oct incl). Grade 3S Read more
Low Mountain Scrambles
- Penon de la Mata. Grade 2/3 (S) depending on route taken. Easy approach gives maximum time scrambling on perfect limestone. We have found and developed some long routes (200-300m) on this quiet peak with excellent views south to the Sierra Nevada. Excellent rock. Read our report and photos of new routes we discovered here
- Penon de la Mata, Sierra de Huetor. Since 2002 we have been instrumental in developing a series of rocky scrambles on perfect limestone in this overlooked area (Sept to June incl). Grades range from 1 to 3.
- Sierra Arana ridges. Long ridge route on Penon Grande (3S) or more relaxed opportunities on Penon Asno (1/2).
- Lecrin Valley. Low peaks but there are a couple that offer fantastic scrambling opportunities on perfect rock. Great instructional areas exist here for all (Sept to June incl). Grades 1 to 3S
- Trevenque. An old favourite has been affected by quite a lot of rock slides in the past few years. Nevertheless we have developed alternatives that give quality low altitude adventures (Sept to June incl). Grade 2
Sierra Nevada Mega Scrambling Tour
- A weeks high altitude scrambling
- 5 days scrambling, 4 nights bivouac by lakes and streams
- We try to carry as little as possible during the day by utilising base camps
- Covers 5 of the Sierra Nevada High Mountain Routes (listed above) in one push, camping by lakes and streams
- Two trips monthly during June, July, August and September (Monday to Friday)
The Espolón de la Caldera is in fact the NW ridge of the Puntal de la Caldera, found just to the west of Mulhacén’s, Collado de Ciervo, in Spain’s Sierra Nevada mountains. It gives a rough and sometimes loose scramble with many possibilities for making the ascent easier or tougher to suit...
Describes an wonderful mountain day scrambling and climbing on the west ridge of the Peñón de la Mata in the Sierra de Huetor, N of Granada and the more popular Sierra Nevada. We had seen this ridge on our last visit to the Peñón de la Mata when we did a scramble on the north eastern flanks...
The west to east traverse of the Puntal de la Caldera gives fine high altitude Sierra Nevada Scrambling opportunities. Here is a route description of how to do it. Arriving at 2900m we made swift progress on the old road over the Col de Carihuela...