AboutThis is the reporting website for Spanish Highs Mountain Guides based in Lanjarón at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains in Spain
The Social Stuff!
Whats Coming Up
- Climb Mulhacen - 2 day winter ascents. Weekly ascents throughout the winter staying in Refugio Poqueira
- "Alpujarras Escape" - Spring Walking breaks Mar 9, 13, Apr 6, 13
- "Walking Over Lemons" - With writer Chris Stewart, dates 18 April, 9 May 2015. Please reserve your place early to avoid disappointment
- Winter Skills and Alpine Introduction Courses - throughout the winter on demand until end of May!
- Ski Touring and Snowshoeing - tours all winter on demand until end of May! We have things going on most weeks
Tag Archives: Guajares
The highest mountains sometimes fail to live up to their status, whilst some relatively unknown peaks turn out to be lesser in height only. Here in southern Spain’s Alpujarras, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, we have for some years now been enjoying the delights of an fascinating little peak called Giralda.
I learned my “height is not always the best” lesson in mountain truth on Aconcagua in the 1990’s. Base camp consisted of 500+ tents and no sanitary conditions. As I laboured breathlessly, buttocks clenched, up the biggest scree slope in the world, all around me were magnificent snow and ice clad andean peaks. What on earth was I doing on crowded Aconcagua?… Read the rest