Information about the Poqueira Hut in the Sierra Nevada
The Refugio Poqueira makes a fine way to spend a night in the Sierra Nevada
The guarded Refugio Poqueira sits at 2500m below the SW face of Mulhacen, the highest mountain in mainland Spain. Useful for winter ski touring and mountaineering tours on the southern Sierra Nevada
The Poqueira Hut
It is a guarded hut with room for 84 persons and supplies visitors with beds, blankets, meals and drinks. Specially recommended is the "vino caliente" which is available by the jug! It is open all year round.
The hut guardians, Rafael and Ansi, are most helpful and friendly and we recommend you to spend some time there. The hut is very useful for ascents of Mulhacen and other peaks on the south side of the Sierras. Also useful during a traverse of the 3000m peaks (Los Tres Miles) as a place to recuperate and resupply.
It is advisable to book in advance if you wish to stay at the hut. The contact details are as follows:
Guardians: Rafael Quintero y Ansi Mosiero
Telephone: +34 958 34 33 49
Mobile: +34 659 55 42 24
How much does it cost to stay in the Refugio Poqueira?
2017 With an Alpine Club Card
High season - Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sundays throughout the year. May to October inclusive €11.00
Low season - Monday to Wednesday during the months of November to April inclusive €6.00
- Breakfast 4.50
- Evening meal 14.00
- Picnic 10.00
2017 Without an Alpine Club Card
- Overnight stay €17.50
- Breakfast 5.50
- Evening meal 17.00
- Picnic 11.00
Routes to the hut
- From Capileira (Central Electrico):
- Follow the left hand side of the Poqueira Gorge upwards gaining height gradually until the head of the gorge is reached after 2 hours. Here climb steeply up to Cortijo Thomas. Climb up the spur behind the cortijo until at about 2400m a traverse leftwards reaches the hut. Total time about 4 hours. This is normally the best approach in winter.
- From Hoya del Portillo:
- At the road end by the ranger station you can take the well marked path up through the forest. Above the forest a sign points the way traversing left along the hillside before a slight descent to the hut. Total time is 2.5 hours.
- Alta de Chorillo and the Morador de Trevelez:
- Take the same path from the Hoya de Portillo but on leaving the upper edge of the forest keep going up until the road is rejoined. Follow this until the Mirador de Trevelez is reached in 2 hours. 500m further on northwards take the left track which leads gently downhill to the hut. Total time 3 hours. We find this route a bit boring and it is normally better reserved for a speedy descent.