Year-round Mountain Guiding in the Sierra Nevada
Local guides, local people & local knowledge. Experience you can trust!
Spanish Highs, Sierra Nevada are the most experienced, active and knowledgeable mix of foreign and spanish guides operating in the Sierra Nevada and the only foreign guides fully insured and licensed for both guiding activities and for operating as a travel agency.
About "Spanish Highs, Sierra Nevada"
- Qualified local guides (speaking english and spanish), living & working permanently in Spain, with vast knowledge and experience of the Sierra Nevada in all weathers
- Fully licenced, Insured and Registered for "Turismo Activo" and "Agencia de Viajes" with the Junta De Andalucia. Bases in Lanjarón & Sevilla and the UK
- Operator of a Responsible Travel and Environment Policy
Our guiding team and philosophy
- Experienced and friendly team with intimate knowledge of the Sierra Nevada in all weathers gained from 12+ years of living year round in Lanjaron
- Enthusiastic, knowledgeable people committed to the mountains and environment in which they work
- Most work closely with local people in their spare time with Accion Sierra Nevada, in refuge restoration and conservation work.
Since 2002 we have set ourselves incredibly high standards. Not just in mountain competence, but in the ability to communicate, interpret and inform. It is also most important for our clients to have fun!
We insist that our guides have to be the best! The hundreds of comments from previous clients are testament to a way of working that is uniquely "Spanish Highs".
All our trips have state of the art satellite communicators and access to emergency services at all times, as vast areas of the Sierras and Patagonia have no mobile signal.
A quick thank you for a great hike on Friday with Martin.
We ski-toured Cartujo which was brilliant! Conditions were varied and my skiing needs so work but Martin was an excellent guide and we had...
24 Jan 2017 at 10:40am
We just completed a 2 day trek to the highest point in Spains mainland with Spanish Highs. This was such an amazing experience and to make it even better the guides Felipe and Nick were the best. W...
13 Dec 2016 at 9:58am
Going up to climb Mulhacen, Spain’s highest main land mountain…and quite high for Europe. I did it over two days. 1000m up day one, 1000m up day two, 2000m down day two.
Everything wasn’t a problem...
13 Dec 2016 at 9:50am
Founder - Richard Hartley
- Mountaineer and Adventurer
- Leading groups into the mountains since 1979. 24 alpine seasons (22 ascents of Mont Blanc)
- Leader of 4 expeditions to the Patagonian Icecap and 1 to Aconcagua
- 2013 - invited to join Berghaus sponsored expedition skiing live volcanoes in Kamchatka
- Actively involved in the Accion Sierra Nevada, which itself evolved due to his and friends efforts to improve and restore mountain huts in the Sierra Nevada. See Granada Ideal newspaper article about the origins of the initiative
"@spanishhighs superb leader", "excellent guide", "testament to your skill and teaching ability", "a master at what he does"
Co-Director - Javier Aguirrebengoa
Javier is in charge of business development within Spain. In addition, he secures the services of some of best and most professional guides around.
He originally qualified as a solicitor before finding more enjoyment and fulfillment in the great outdoors. In 2008 he purchased some land and an old ruined cortijo in the mountains of the Sierra de Aracena. This development project became "Refugio Bonales, Sierra Mountain Refuge". He is passionately involved in improving the refuge and in bringing self sufficiency into the lives of his family.
Acción Eventos - José Luis Ferrero
José Luis runs "Acción y Eventos" which develops original and interesting activity programs, for groups, companies, collectives and event co-ordination. They integrate quality, innovation and customization towards the satisfaction of their customers
He is an very experienced, qualified mountaineer and skier who has lived and worked in the Sierra Nevada most of his life.
- Competed as a semi pro in Triathlon
- Mountain guide in the Sierra Nevada and Andalucia
- Alpine ski instructor, telemark and Nordic skiing
- Tour guide in the Sierra Nevada ski area
- Mountain Bike guide in the Pyrenees