Flexible short break or week long hiking tours in the Alpujarras, based at Casa Ana in Ferreirola
Leave the rat race far behind and enjoy quiet, remote walking and hiking with just the right amount of luxury thrown in for good measure!
The Alpujarra is one of Spain’s most spectacular and unspoilt walking areas, with hikes in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and rambles through the meadows, orchards and white villages.
The holiday is based at Casa Ana, a gem of a guest house on the edge of Ferreirola, with magnificent views of the Trevelez river gorge. The house recently featured in the Times top 50 places for a holiday in Spain.
Ferreirola is about the prettiest village in the western Alpujarra, and that’s where the enchanting Casa Ana is to be found. It’s just up the hill from our farm. In September the heat of summer is over and the beautiful low light of autumn takes over. The poplars and pomegranates ought to be changing colour and there’ll be the first hint of woodsmoke from the high villages of the Alpujarra.
Choice of Varied Walks
- Barranco de Poqueira - dramatic gorge, high mountain scenery, wildlife. Watch video
- Taha del Pitres - white villages, dramatic river valleys, tumbling rivers. Watch video
- Trevelez to Ferreirola - interesting route following the GR7 long distance path
- Rio Trevelez and Rio Culo Perro - high village, mountainside and riverside walk
- Las Alegas and the high forests of the Alpujarras. Watch video
Walking level of challenge
We do have quite a large degree of flexibility and can adapt to the groups general wishes but expect altitude gains of about 400-600 metres and 5-6 hours of walking per day. Bring sensible clothing and good hiking boots. Hiking poles are useful. Sun hats, sun glasses, sun block and a water bottle are essential.
"Alpujarras Escape" Gallery
Fancy something different?
- Choose length of stay (minimum 3 nights) required
- With our help you can choose which walks you prefer
- Choose additional activities as required (see above)
Bed, breakfast and day's guided walk is €110 per person per day (2 sharing)
For groups of 6 or more
Optional (use our contact form for prices):
- Day walk and evening meal with Chris Stewart - author "Driving Over Lemons" (depending on availability)
- Ham and wine tasting at Antonio’s bodega in Pampaneira
- Gourmet dinners at Casa Ana with the region’s most celebrated chef Wes Somerville
- Meet young chef Guillermo for a dinner at his modern Spanish tapas bar Botanic in Capileira
- A day in Granada exploring the Moorish city with Chris and architect Rafael Anderson. Plus a degustación lunch at Francisco Lillo’s famous bodega La Oliva
La Taha ... what it's like?
Latest from the Alpujarras
We have teamed up with Casa Ana to offer you a great introductory offer to this new and exciting 6 day walking with nature holiday.
Next dates for this 6 night, 5 day tour will be 28th May – 3rd June 2017. It’s an opportunity to explore the wildlife of the Alpujarras and enjoy the surrounding ar...
Spanish Highs have teamed up with writer Chris Stewart & delightful accommodation at Casa Ana to bring guided walking holidays in the Alpujarras
Next scheduled holiday -Saturday 6 – Saturday 13 September 2014 (€200 off the prices below for 2 people)The holiday
The Alpujarra is one of Spain’s mos...
Camping out in the mountains does not have to always be reserved for those long summer days. With careful planning and foresight great experiences are to be had during the winter months. We recently had a client who wanted to try out camping in the snow clad mountains of the Sierra Nevada.
Describes a 3 day trek between Bayárcal and Trevelez on the long distance path, the “Sulayr”, around Spain’s Sierra Nevada National Park. Thanks to Ian Tupman (and Meg of course!) for the following report detailing their experiences.
N.B Spanish Highs support sections of this route either guided ...