Climb the Alpine Ridges of the Sierra Nevada, Spain
Discover the year round mountaineering and scrambling potential of the Alpine Ridges of the Sierra Nevada mountains in Spain
Summer or Winter? This is a year round 5 day high mountain tour that takes in some of the finest ridges of the Sierra Nevada. Wild camping or unguarded refuges.
Dates- December to May
Prices - from €75 per person per day
Accommodation - hotels from €30 per person per night (sharing)
4 classic alpine ridges in 5 days
- Day 1 - Ascend to Refugio Poqueira (guarded)
- Day 2 - Los Raspones de Rio Seco. Winter Alpine AD+. Summer Diff. Rock 3. Camp Laguna Galbata.
- Day 3 - NW Espolon Puntal de la caldera/Traverse of Puntal de la Caldera. Winter Alpine PD+. Summer grade 3S scramble. Camp Rio Seco
- Day 4 - Cerro de los Machos to Veleta. Winter Alpine AD. Summer Diff. Rock 3. Camp Laguna Misterioso
- Day 5 - NW ridge of Tozal de Cartujo. Winter Alpine AD. Summer grade 2 scramble (1 abseil and 1 section rock 3). Out to Capileira
Seasonal Notes - Summer
From January to May each year. Minimum 2 persons. Full on multi-day winter climbing and as such a certain amount of hardship will have to be be endured and weight carried.
Evening Day 1 - Refugio Poqueira (guarded)
Evening Day 2, 3 - Refugio Villavientos (unguarded)
Evening Day 4 - Refugio Carihuela (unguarded)
Alternatives include - Tajos de la Virgen ridge. Grade Alpine PD+ with a couple of exposed sections. Long "alpine" type ridge with extensive views
Seasonal Notes - Winter
From June to October each year. Minimum 2 persons. Most days you will travel lightweight, returning to base camp overnight. Generally high quality scrambling withg long exposed sections. Some simple abseils.
Participants must be able to feel confident rope handling while moving together and essential to have a good head for heights! Our summer scrambling courses are an ideal to learn the basics
Evening Day 1, 2 ,3 - Wild camp in upper valley Rio Seco
Evening Day 4 - Wild camp Laguna Misterioso
Alternatives include - Tajos de la Virgen ridge. Grade 1 with a couple of exposed sections. Long "alpine" type ridge with extensive views
Routes and itineraries may have to change (especially in winter) should snow, ice or weather conditions dictate!